What to Expect: Custom Rugs for all NeedsHard surface flooring options such as hardwood and luxury vinyl tile are gaining in popularity quickly in the Mid-Atlantic Region. And with that jump in popularity, so has the popularity and need for area rugs of all shapes, sizes, and styles. Due to that the range of options – color, pattern, edging, sizes, shapes, durability, feel, and materials – are practically limitless. With that in mind, I thought it may be helpful to go over some of the options for full and semi-custom area rugs at Mercer Floors that we have in addition to a wide array of pre-made area rugs and runners. For the purposes of this post, I grabbed three lovely and hugely popular options to use as examples to help provide an idea of cost range for a project like this depending on the durability, thickness, and style of the materials used. Let’s say we’re looking for two area rugs for connected areas of the home – the living and dining rooms – that recently had a lovely new hardwood installed. We’d like for them to look similar but with unique traits of their own to separate them and add to that custom look. The dining room will need a rug that is between a 7’0” x 10’0” and 8’0” x 11’0”. The living room rug needs to be approximately a 4’0” x 6’0” and we’re considering having it be cut into an oval octagon. For the sake of this post, let’s break it into three different scenarios:
- You are looking for a neutral area rug with only a subtle textured pattern as there are other parts of the decor you’d rather highlight.
- You’d like to keep the overall pattern on the more subtle side of things but want to add that extra something to really create that custom look.
- You’re looking for both rooms to create that wow factor to catch visitor’s eyes when they walk in and tie together the entire decor.
- The carpeting to be used for your new rug as described below
- Our premium, slip-resistant rug padding
- The edging materials as described below
- The cutting, shaping, and fabrication of your rugs
- Our White Glove Delivery package
- Movement of 2-man furniture as needed
- Laying out of the rug and its padding
- A carpet care kit including effective spot treating tools and cleaners
- A classic cut and loop carpet with a subtle geometric pattern and two-tone color scheme
- Made from high quality nylon with great stain treatment to increase durability and ease of maintenance
- Both area rugs, including sales tax, padding, and delivery – as described above – would currently total only $1,260.00!
- A classic Greek-Key pattern with two colors to lend a little extra to the effect of the pattern’s appearance
- Premium nylon with the best stain resistance available
- Both area rugs, including sales tax, padding, and delivery – as described above – would currently total only $2,310.00!
- A lovely traditional pattern with lovely, versatile color options
- Made from premium, solution dyed royaltron polypropylene for superior durability and stain resistance
- Both area rugs, including sales tax, padding, and delivery – as described above – would currently total only $4,370.00!
- You select upgraded carpet options
- You select upgraded edging options
- Your rugs need to be different sizes and/or shapes
Katlin Farrell Choate
Was this helpful for you? Get more like this in your inbox, newsfeed, or where you prefer at the links below…
- Subscribe to our monthly eNewsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Houzz
- Follow us on Google+
Special Notes: The pricing provided in this post is based on the details provided and costs at the time this was written (May 2016). Prices are subject to change based on material and labor costs, the specials available at the time, and the needs of each individual project.