What to Expect: Carpet
Carpeting is just under half of the floor covering sold in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Due to that the range of options for style, durability, feel, and more are practically limitless. With that in mind, I wanted to go over what is involved in the typical carpet project. I even grabbed four lovely options to use as examples to help provide an idea of cost range for a project like this depending on the durability, thickness, and style of the carpet.
Let’s say we’re working on the second floor hallway, master bedroom, attached sitting room, and stairway. This area will need a 12’ x 42’ piece of carpet or 504 square feet. The carpet the builder installed has seen better days and the family of five live an active life so the stairway and hallway see a lot of foot traffic. The family puppy is mostly house trained but still has the occasional accident. There are a couple spots in the master bedroom where the subfloor needs to be screwed down to minimize squeaks. All of the furniture, except for the master bed, can be moved by two people once emptied.
For the sake of this post, let’s break it into four different scenarios:
This kind of information is highly helpful to your Flooring Design Consultant at Mercer Floor + Home as she or he provides good recommendations for your new carpet. The estimate that your Consultant would provide for this type of project typically includes the following:
- You are looking to sell the house in 3-6 months and your Realtor recommended changing out the carpet
- You are looking to upgrade these areas to hardwood within the next five years but want some wiggle room in the carpet’s expected life in case plans change
- This is a long term home and, while the kids are young, a functional carpet is what you prefer
- This is a long term home and you’d like something with a pit of a pattern for visual interest
For the purposes of this post I selected four carpet options. One each to fit the scenarios described above to help show you a full range for the scope of this type of project:
Scenario 1: Stylish Story I over 8lb virgin rebond padding
- Movement of all furniture that needs two people or more to move
- Take up and disposal of the existing carpet and padding
- Minimizing the squeaks in the master suite (for options 2-4 only)
- Our Healthy Living subfloor preparation which includes the vacuuming of your subfloor with a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner AND treating it with a salt-based anti-microbial mist (for options 2-4 only)
- New tackstrips where needed
- The new carpet padding as described below
- The new carpet as described below
- Carpet and pad installation of your new floor meeting strictest industry installation recommendations by our very own master level installers
- Note: at the railings in the hall and on the stair, the carpet doesn’t wrap around any nosing but instead tucks up neatly against the baseplate
- Note: we always install the carpet running in the same direction and never turn and piece, which can cause the appearance of discoloration due to the nap of the carpet. Also, certain styles of carpet can only be seamed in 1 direction to prevent fraying.
- A carpet care kit including effective spot treating tools and cleaners
Scenario 2: Santa Anita over 9lb HLI rebond padding
- A classic styled cut pile carpet with a wide array of neutral colors to choose from and perfect for this scenario
- Made from solution dyed polyester so even if it takes a little while for the house to sell, this should be an easily maintained carpet
- Due to the popularity of this piece, we have negotiated long term special pricing so you don’t have to wait for the next sale to come around!
- Completely installed, including sales tax, this project as described above would total only $1,920.00!
Scenario 3: Tigressa SoftStyle Headstrong over 9lb HLI rebond padding
- Available in Solid, Tweed, and Barber Pole neutral tones, this textured cut pile carpet is very popular in active households and is made from solution dyed polyester and protected with our Gold Level Warranties in addition to our Everguard 10 Year Stain Proof Protection Plan
- The 9lb HLI rebond padding doubles all Texture Retention & Wear Warranties, is treated with our HealthinEx Antimicrobial Protection, and is protected by one of the best moisture barriers in the industry
- Completely installed, including sales tax, this project as described above would normally total about $3,900.00 but with our current special pricing you’d only be looking at $2,790.00!
- By the way, this carpet has a thicker style available in the same colors called Alameda Faire. It comes with our Platinum Level Warranties in addition to Everguard and would cost only $540.00 additional for this project with the current sale.
Scenario 4: Relax it’s Lee’s Panache, Annandale, or Mandino over 20lb HLI rubber padding
- Available in a wide selection of Solid, Tweed, and Barber Pole neutral tones, this textured cut pile carpet is hugely popular among active families
- Made from solution dyed Tigressa nylon with our Platinum Level Warranties and our Everguard 10 Year Stain Proof Protection Plan
- The 9lb HLI rebond padding is the same as described above
- Completely installed, including sales tax, this project as described above would normally total about $4,700.00 but with our current special pricing you’d be looking at only $3,440.00!
- By the way, this carpet has two thicker styles available in the same colors called Morning Line and Clubhouse. These come with our Gold and Platinum Level Warranties (respectively) in addition to Everguard and would cost between $530.00 and $1,050.00 less for this project with the current sale.
No carpet project is the same. Though the one described in this post is considered typical based on our almost 2/3rds of a century of experience. What’s unique of the past decade or so is that more and more people are looking to put a unique spin on their home. This helps them make it their own instead of a cookie-cutter house.
Here are some other details that could change how your carpet project could turn out different than the project in this example:
- Three lovely cut-n-loop patterned carpets made from solution dyed Lee’s nylon with our Titanium Level Warranties including UltraGuard 25 Year Stain Proof Warranty
- Due to the cut-n-loop construction of this carpet and the small pattern matches, additional carpet would need to be ordered. This estimate is based on needing a 12’ x 46’ piece or 552 square feet of carpet.
- The 20lb HLI rubber padding is dense enough to give loop and cut-n-loop carpets what they need to perform. Plus it does everything that the 9lb HLI padding does!
- Completely Installed, including sales tax, this project as described above would normally total about $8,700 but with our current sale you’d be looking at only $4,470.00!
I hope this is helpful as you plan your next home improvement project. Of course there are options out there that provide different looks, different durability levels, and different investment requirements. If there are any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at Katlin@nullMercerCarpetOne.com! I’m here to help you find the best floor option for your home.
Katlin Farrell Choate
Was this helpful for you? Get more like this in your inbox, newsfeed, or where you prefer at the links below…
Special Notes: The pricing provided in this post is based on the details provided and costs at the time this was written (March 2016). Prices are subject to change based on material and labor costs, the specials available at the time, and the needs of each individual project.
- Additional oversized furniture needs to be moved
- You decide to upgrade the padding
- Upholstery work around spindles at the railing is needed
- Additional square footage is needed based on the width of the carpet and the dimensions of the rooms and/or a pattern match