• Where the family gathers for a movie or game night
• Where small gatherings or parties often center around (besides the kitchen, of course)
• Where the kids invariably end up playing video games
• Where football is playing throughout the season (and sometimes during the off-season)
The question is, or at least the question I’m talking about today is, ‘which floor works best for the demands and wishes of YOUR family, entertainment, or living room?’
Carpet is one of the more popular choices because of its comfort.
• Warmth – carpet has high insulative properties and can be installed with radiant heating for added warmth and more efficient heating.
• Design options galore – Construction types, fibers, colors, patterns…with all the options the choices are limitless
• Green note: Besides the insulative properties, recycled carpet fiber is often considered a better alternative because of the increased durability and softness. Also, there are natural fiber choices such as the only fiber that has proven its excellence for centuries: wool.
Hardwood is a classic, always has been and always will.
• Long lasting – hardwood floors are one of the few flooring choices that can last you for a lifetime or more and their appearance improves with age with character and added richness to the color
• Value – hardwood floors are one of the few flooring choices that add value to your home
• Simple to take care of – usually all you need is a dry terry cloth mop to grab any dirt and dust that has gathered
• Green note: In addition to wood being a ‘life-floor’, wood is a natural product. There are many manufacturers who harvest their trees sustainably and there is reclaimed wood (one of my favorite looks because you get a new, quality floor that already has a natural character of its own). –Don’t forget to take a look at Hardwood’s cousins: bamboo and cork!–
Ceramic Tile and Natural Stone are classic choices with probably the highest capacity for customization of all flooring choices.
• Customization – create the look of your dreams that just spills over with your personality and the wished personality of the room with tile
• Long lasting – tile is another floor that can last a lifetime
• Flexibility – tile can adjust with changes in a rooms features like rugs, furniture, and color pallet and add a new depth of character to the style of a room as it grows with you and your family
• Bang for your Buck – like hardwood, tile is an incredible way to increase the value of your home
• Green Note: Tile is long lasting as well as having the benefit of helping to preserve healthy air quality standards
Flex Floor Vinyl and Luxury Vinyl Tile are great choices for more active family rooms because of their resiliency.
• Durability – Flex floor vinyl, or fiberglass-backed vinyl, is great for areas that see a high amount of traffic and activity. Perfect for rooms that need a ‘no-worries’ floor.
• Design–ability – with choices in both tile and wood looks, there are thousands of design possibilities that are surprisingly realistic in appearance
• A Viable Alternative – Want the look of wood or tile but also have a budget to keep in mind? This is a good substitute.
• Price – With today’s technology, you are able to get the look of exotic hardwood or rich tile for a fraction on the price
• Easy Maintenance – Most days, all that’s needed is a quick sweep with a terry-cloth dust mop
• Realistic – With today’s laminate the individual boards and tiles help add to increase the realistic appearance with beveled edges and depth
• Green Note: many laminate floors are recycled and sustainably manufactured