New Wood Floors: What to Expect
Hardwood floors are the second most popular flooring choice (to carpet only) in Maryland. The Mid-Atlantic region has always preferred wood flooring. And it’s no wonder! Hardwood flooring has such a warmth to it and adds a comfortable richness to any home. Because of its popularity, we are providing a wide array of prefinished design and performance options for homeowners to choose from. Due to this, I wanted to go over what is involved in the typical hardwood project. I have three wood floors to use as an example to help provide an idea of cost range for a project like this.
Let’s say we’re working on a family room that needs to upgrade from worn out and stained builder-grade berber carpet to a lovely hardwood. It’s about 250 square feet and rectangle with a fireplace hearth that’s about as tall as the current carpet. All furniture will be moved by our two person crew. The doorways in this room include the sliding glass door to the back yard and an extra large opening that connects the family room to your kitchen. You want a wood floor that you and your family can love for a long time because there are no plans on selling the home within the next 5-10 years. This is the kind of information that your Flooring Design Consultant at Mercer Floor + Home uses to provide good recommendations for your new hardwood floor. It is also extremely helpful if they know how you use the space, what you’d like everything to look like when complete, and what budget range you are looking to work with for for new hardwood floors.
The estimate that your Consultant would provide for this type of project typically includes the following:
- delivery of the hardwood prior to installation for acclimation
- movement of furniture that can be moved by two men
- anything small, breakable, and electronic needs to be removed prior to installation
- removal of the old carpet, pad, tackstrips, and pad staples
- our Healthy Living subfloor preparation which includes the vacuuming of your subfloor with a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner AND treating it with a salt-based anti-microbial mist
- high quality Aquabar underlay
- straight-lay installation of your new hardwood meeting the strictest industry installation recommendations by our very own master level installers
- the new hardwood (I go over three lovely options below!) with approximately 10% overage calculated in to account for waste from cutting
- white shoe-molding around the walls
- to help lengthen the walls while making sure that the expansion gap is covered
- coordinating transition pieces to be used to frame…
- the walkway to the kitchen
- where the floor butts up to the sliding door
- around the fireplace hearth
- a hardwood care kit including
- a large and easy to use swivel headed dust mop with a reusable cover
- a manufacturer’s cleaner for the occasional sticky spot and deep clean
- SlipStick floor protectors to help keep the couches and arm chairs in place
For the purposes of this post I selected three beautiful, durable, wide-planked hardwood floors to help show you a full range for the scope of this type of project:
Nobel House Birch Antique Bronze
- Nobel House 5” Birch (see above and below for pictures of 2 of the color options for this lovely wood floor!)
- This project would need 9 cartons, which would be 295.29 sq. ft. due to the carton size
- For this project, this would typically total $5,400 including everything described in the section above
- With our current sale, you would be able to save a total of $2,100 on this family room!
Nobel House Birch English Leather
- Landgate 5” Elm (see below for a picture of this unique and classy hardwood!)
- This project would need 9 cartons, which would be 295.2 sq. ft. due to the carton size
- For this project, this would typically total $6,100 (full package like above)
- With our current sale, you would be able to save a total of $2,700 on this family room!
Landgate Elm Armanda
- Invincible Sawn Face Castlewood 7.5” Oak (there are two stunning rooms pictured below with this wood floor!)
- This project would need 9 cartons, which would be 279.81 sq. ft. due to the carton size
- For this project, as described above, this would typically total $8,200
- With our current sale, you would be able to save a total of $3,600 on this family room!
Castlewood Oak Armory
No wood flooring project is the same. Though the one described in this post is considered typical based on our almost 2/3rds of a century of experience. What’s unique of the past decade or so is that more and more people are looking to put a unique spin on their home. This helps them make it their own home. Sometimes, I am asked what the most popular option is when one of my clients is trying to determine what direction they want to go. I get to tell them that there are general themes but there isn’t one option that really stands out ahead of the rest any more.
Castlewood Oak Trestle
Those themes are…
- a species of wood domestic to the North America’s such as oak, hickory, birch, walnut, & maple
- wide plank (ranging from 3 to 9 inches!)
- medium to low gloss level
- some level of texture to the finish
- medium to dark brown tones
Here are some other details that could change how your family room (or other space) could turn out different than the project in this example:
dark hardwood floor with a contrasting wood border
- over-sized furniture needs to be moved
- something other than carpet needs to be removed
- more or less transition pieces are needed
- shoe-molding that blends with the floor instead of the baseboard
- new baseboard for a more custom look (we have 6” tall baseboard options available)
- coordinating wood floor vent covers
- there is an annoying squeak (or lots of squeaks) that you would like us to reduce
- a mixed width pattern install (take a peek at the room pictured below to see how great this can look!!!)
- a contrasting wood border around the room (there is a picture above of this lovely idea!)
- diagonal installation (look below for this awesomeness!)
mixed width wood floor
And the best way to finish off a room with new hardwood is the perfect rug to tie everything together! Your Flooring Consultant can help you with ideas and suggestions on how to make that dream of yours come alive with our large selection of pre-made and custom area rugs and runners!
I hope this is helpful as you plan your next home improvement project. Of course there are options out there that provide different looks, different durability levels, and different investment requirements. If there are any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at Katlin@nullMercerCarpetOne.com! I’m here to help you find the best floor option for your home.
Katlin Farrell Choate
Was this helpful for you? Get more like this in your inbox, newsfeed, or where you prefer at the links below…
Subscribe to our monthly eNewsletter
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Houzz
Follow us on Google+
Special Notes: The pricing provided in this post is based on the details provided and costs at the time this was written (January 2016). Prices are subject to change based on material and labor costs, the specials available at the time, and the needs of each individual project.
diagonal install with a border